The ADEC Certification Exam is
- A standardized exam measuring foundational knowledge in the field of Thanatology.
- Not intended to measure skill or competence.
Exam Date: Saturday, November 7, 2020
2020 Exam Fees
$ 380 USD – ADEC Member Rate
$ 599 USD – Nonmember Rate
FT Applicants (without prior CT)
$ 520 USD – ADEC Member Rate
$ 739 USD – Nonmember Rate
- Written in English
- Based on the ADEC Body of Knowledge
- Made up of 150 multiple choice questions requiring a range of cognitive skills
- Representative of the diverse Thanatology roles of certificant.
Body of Knowledge Categories
*35 of 150 questions are in scenario or case-study format
% of Exam Content
End of Life Decision Making
Loss, Grief and Mourning
Assessment and Intervention
- Each question qualifies for one point.
- Points are not deducted for incorrect answers.
- Grading is done as pass/fail.
- The cut score is determined each year using standard setting methods after the completion of the exam.
- Please reference the Exam Analysis and Score Reporting section at the bottom of this page.
Online Certification Exam
The Certification Exam is
- Administered by an exam vendor contracted by ADEC.
- Schedules once per year in November.
- Taken on the candidate’s computer, in the home, office or other identified secure location.
- Made available within a nine hour window.
- Must be completed within 3 hours of logging in.
Preparing for the Exam
- Exam questions are referenced in the following 3 resources:
- DeSpelder, L. A. & Strickland, A. L. (2019). The last dance: Encountering death and dying (11th ed.). McGraw Hill Higher Education. ISBN-13: 978-1260130744
- Corr, C. A., Corr, D. M., & Doka, K. J. (2019). Death & dying, life & living (8th ed.). Cengage Learning. ISBN-13: 978-1337563895
- Purchase of references is not a requirement.
- Candidates eligible for the exam will receive:
- Within 30 days of applying:
- Notification of approval.
- Access to the study guide resource.
- Within a few weeks of the exam date:
- Instructions for accessing the online exam.
- Link to familiarization exercises.
- Important instructions in the event of unforeseen circumstances encountered during exam.
During the Exam
- Outside materials or references are prohibited.
- Leaving the exam window locks out the exam taker.
- The exam window closes 3 hours after logging in.
After the exam
- Surveys are sent to exam takers for feedback.
- Urgent concerns may be sent in writing to the Credentialing Administrator within 10 days of exam date.
Exam Analysis and Score Reporting* To insure a fair exam was administered
- Exam management experts analyze all aspects of the exam and exam process.
- Exam results are reported via email as soon as possible but may take up to 8 weeks.
- Successful candidates are awarded the credential and receive proof of certification by mail.
- Candidates who fell short of meeting the passing score are:
- Provided with feedback as to the categories with lowest scores.
- Not informed of the specific incorrect exam items.
- Eligible to retest the following year without reapplying by submitting the Retesting Request.
- ADEC retains the right to cancel or withhold any exam scores whenever:
- There is suspected irregularity or misconduct.
- Problems are discovered within the exam materials or the testing process.